The Qatar Sailing and Watersports Federation is soliciting bids for the Spirit of Qatar powerboat racing team’s assets. Invitations to bid went out earlier this week. Open to bidders are:
• A 50-foot turbine-powered Mystic Powerboats catamaran and its support equipment including a Ford F650 truck, a trailer and a Kenworth tractor/trailer with workshop.
• A 40-foot MTI catamaran with a trailer and Kenworth K100 truck.
• A 38-foot Cigarette Racing sportboat with a trailer.
• A 42-foot orange pleasure catamaran on an aluminum trailer, A Ford F450 truck and a golf cart.
• Four F-1 DAC tunnel boats.
• Three F-4 Boats.com
Opening bid prices each lot were not supplied. However, each bid must be accompanied by a deposit such as $20,000 for the Mystic raceboat and its equipment.
The sale of the Spirit of Qatar team’s assets officially ends the saga of the Middle Eastern team’s foray into domestic offshore racing, as well as powerboat racing in Qatar. A change in leadership and direction within what was then called the Qatar Marine Sports Federation was the beginning of the end. Following the inaugural Qatar Cup in Doha in early February, the team abruptly suspended all racing operations.
Reached via email regarding the sale, former QMSF president Sheikh Hassan bin Jabor Al-Thani responded, “I had heard about it but did not know when they were attempting to do it.”
Interested bidders can receive the tender offer documents by contacting [email protected]