In a solid start for the “home teams,” Dubai’s Victory Team and Spirit of Qatar 20 claimed pole positions in the SuperCat Lite (outboard) and SuperCat (stern drive) classes yesterday during inaugural Union Internationale Motonautique-sanctioned Qatar Cup in Doha Bay on Wednesday.
In smooth water rippled by 10- to 12-mph winds from the west, multiple UIM Class One World Powerboat Champions, Arif Saif Al-Zafeen and Nadir bin Hendi, overcame a yellow card in Victory S-3 to post the fastest lap in the opening pole position session to top the times with an impressive tour of 2 minutes and 56.5 seconds on the five-mile, multi-turn course. Finishing second in the class with a lap time of 3minutes and 23.1 seconds were Americans Robert Nunziato and Dan Lawrence, in The Hulk.
For more images of yesterday’s pole position qualifying scene, check out the slideshow above.
The Spirit of Qatar 20 team of Ali Al-Neama and Billy Moore delivered the fastest SuperCat class with a time of 3 minutes and 00.9 seconds to claim pole position from Jay Cooke and Randy Sweers in Racing for Cancer/Fast Boats 33.
Complete pole position results for both classes are listed below. Todays races begin at 3 p.m. for the SuperCat Light class and 4 p.m. for SuperCat class and two-boat SuperVee class
Qatar Cup Pole Position Results
1. Nadir Bin Hendi (ARE)/Arif Saif Al-Zafeen (ARE), Victory S-3: 2minutes 56.5 second
2. Robert Nunziato (USA)/Dan Lawrence (USA), The Hulk S-1: 3 minutes 23.1 seconds
3. Faleh Al-Mansoori (ARE)/Rashed Al-Tayer (ARE), Team Abu Dhabi 5: 3minutes 28.6 seconds
4. Grant Bruggeman (USA)/Gary Ballough (USA) Smart Marine/Auto Mart S-110: 3 minutes 28.6 seconds
5. Mohammed Al-Nasser (QAT)/Nasser Al-Nasser (QAT), Spirit of Qatar 94: 3 minutes 30 seconds
6. Tanner Lewis (USA)/Ryan Beckley (USA) Peters & May Racing S-111: 3minutes, 34.8 seconds
7. Lynn Wagemann (USA)/Jay Muller (USA) Wicked Performance Marine S-33: 3 minutes 44.6 seconds
8. Allen Christy (USA)/Lee Austin (USA) LA Marine S-12: 4 minutes 0.8 seconds
1. Joe Sgro (USA)/Steve Curtis (GBR) Outerlimits 43: 3 minutes 5.5 seconds
2. Brett Furshman (USA)/Billy Glueck (USA) Twisted Metal 30: 3 minutes 8.2 seconds
1. Ali Al-Neama (QAT)/Billy Moore (USA) Spirit of Qatar 20: 3 minutes 0.9 seconds
2. Jay Cooke (USA)/Randy Sweers (USA) Racing for Cancer/Fast Boats 33: 3 minutes 2.5 seconds
3. George Stancombe (USA)/Michael Stancombe (USA) Peppers/Peters & May 2: 3 minutes 10.4 seconds
4. Wayne Valder (NZL)/Chris Hanley (NZL) Pro Floors Racing,51: 3 minutes 11.7 seconds
5. Paul Boudreaux (USA)/Jay Price (USA) Thorndon/Ragin Cajun,57: 3 minutes 26.3 seconds
6. Dan Lawrence (USA)/Ron Roman (USA) Motley Crew 00: DNS